© 2023 KRCU Public Radio
90.9 Cape Girardeau | 88.9-HD Ste. Genevieve | 88.7 Poplar Bluff
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

MO Veterans Commission Awards Design Contracts For Construction On 3 Homes, Including Cape Girardeau

Lindsey Grojean/KRCU

Yesterday, the Missouri Veterans Commission announced the award of design contracts for the construction on three Veterans Homes in the state, including their Cape Girardeau facility.  

In an effort to modernize several homes throughout the state, the commission will be utilizing over $35 million for construction projects, 65% of which will be federally funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The remaining 35% will be funded by the state.

In a press release, executive director of the commission, Grace Link, expressed her excitement moving forward with the long-awaited upgrades, which were announced in April of this year by former Governor Eric Greitens.

“Modern high-quality facilities not only better accommodate our Veterans and make their lives comfortable,” said Link. “They allow us to provide higher quality care for our nation’s heroes.”

The Office of Administration's Division of Facilities Management, Design and Construction is the contract holder for the Missouri Veterans Commission. In addition to Cape Girardeau, they awarded design contracts for Veterans Homes in St. Louis and St. James.

The Cape Girardeau home will see modernizing renovations on their existing facility, for which a contract was awarded to Farnsworth Group of St. Louis.

In St. Louis, major renovations will take place, including the addition of a new chapel, conversion of all rooms to “single occupancy” and private restrooms, and utilization of the Veterans Administration’s “small house design” concept. This portion was awarded to Canon Design of St. Louis. A separate project on the facility was awarded to Kuhlman Design Group, Inc., also out of St. Louis, and will include the installment of a pavilion for Veterans’ outdoor activities and an indoor recreation area.

The existing St. James facility will see the installment of new flooring, and the addition of a solarium. This contract was awarded to Easterly-Schneider Associates of Springfield.

For more information on Missouri Veterans Commission programs, visit http://www.mvc.dps.mo.gov.


Related Content